Sunday, July 29, 2012

Happy National Lipstick Day!

Day 211

Yes, it's real. Even I couldn't make up "National Lipstick Day" but I certainly plan on celebrating it!

The most popular of cosmetics, the average woman owns seven tubes of "transformation". That's how I think of lipstick- a transformation for your smile. And I believe I own a few more than seven tubes ...

For thousands of years, women have understood that your smile, possibly the first and most noticed thing about a person, can be enhanced with color. The role of lipstick has changed little through the years. At times fashionable, other times outrageous and sometimes even illegal, a little lipstick goes a long way to define your look. A look through modern American history can be marked with lipstick. The dark red favored in the1920s, the deep red worn by Elizabeth Taylor in the 50s, the shimmer pastels of the 60s, iridescent blue and lime green shades from our disco days of the 70s, the mood lipstick of the 80s and the black lipstick of the 90s all mark their place in style history.

I think the most interesting and telling thing about lipstick is the fact that it is not only recession-proof, the sales of lipstick thrive in a bad economy. It's called "the Lipstick Effect," the worse the economy, the higher the lipstick sales. Can't afford a new outfit, splurge on an $8 tube of lipstick. That $8 tube of lipstick can transform how we feel and how we present ourselves to the world. Powerful stuff!

In this no-buy year, I promised myself that although lipstick is a "legal" purchase, (according to my rules) I can only replace colors that have run out or acquire new colors I do not currently own. I have bought 5 tubes this year. 1 of the 5 was a poor choice, the other four, excellent. I chose slightly transparent, barely shimmery summer shades that make me feel fabulous. I may not have new outfits but my lip color screams fresh and fashionable. Viva la lipstick!
Happy Lipstick Day! Treat yourself to a tube of transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment