Friday, June 29, 2012

Organize Your Fashion Jewelry

Day 181


That headline should read: Organize Your Fashion Jewelry, Just Not Like Me.
This sounds a lot like an infomercial. Does your jewelry look like this?
I thought I was being oh-so-clever by storing my (many) necklaces on decorative hooks in my bathroom where I accessorize. Clever, that is, until the sheer weight of the tangled madness nearly pulled the hooks from the wall! Not only are the items hard to see, they are hard to retrieve. 
It's nearly 6 months in to my challenge and I am just now organizing this part of my wardrobe. See? It's never too late. I'd given this mess thought and knew professional help was in order. So I headed over to Bed, Bath and Beyond armed with a 20% coupon and a plan. Find the organizing product that would help me get my jewelry in order. 


I was pretty excited to spot this little gem! A hanging unit with clear pockets to easily view my goods. And 37 pockets! Woo wee! Maybe I wouldn't have to get rid of much. It was $9.99 minus 20%.
I started off with my "gather and sort" method, a practice that has proven so valuable, I may patent it. It's always surprising to me to see what I actually have when I spread it out. These are just the necklaces and I didn't bother to count them but I did see 8 basic silver necklaces of the same general style.


I started with my favorite, go-to necklaces and returned them to the decorative hooks in the bathroom. I chose 8 as my favorites. Then I started filling these lovely little pockets. Operative word: LITTLE. I realized that the smallest pockets, which make up 3/4 of the unit, are intended for earrings. I don't even have pierced ears. I crammed what I could in the pockets and ripped three pockets to make room (note: they ripped really easily!). I'm pretty sure I did some damage to a few of the necklaces by compacting them. I know--I should have read the pocket dimensions listed on the package but I didn't.
After an hour, I have a ziplock bag filled with necklaces that I will hold on to for a few months, then donate. 
I did end with this:
I'm sure there's a better way but this will do for now.

1 comment: