Monday, April 9, 2012

Woo Hoo! 100 Days!


Day 100
Woo Hoo! 100 Days!

Today I celebrate 100 days of not buying clothes, shoes or accessories. I will not celebrate by buying those things, or with a cupcake. In elementary school, much ado is made of the 100th day of school. My kids were always assigned to bringing in 100 of something, paperclips, pennies, crayons, something to count that would mark spending 100 days in that particular grade.

I can count things, too. Maybe not 100, but I can count many, many times I nearly took something to the cash register out of sheer habit, having to stop myself from making a purchase. I can count the number of things donated to the Purple Heart this year alone, things I have no idea why I thought they were a good idea. I can count the number of coupons and special offers I have received in the mail, tempting me with too-good-to-pass-up bargains. I can count the times my heart has sunk, seeing the potentially best  (fill in the blank) ever, dress, swimsuit, shoes, etc.

Instead, I’ll count the dollars I have not spent. I have tricked myself too many times in the past by buying things to “save” money. I am focusing on actually “not spending” money. I count the hours not spent frantically searching store to store for the outfit that will conceal the figure flaws. I’ll count the number of ways I am making decisions, conscious decisions, that are good for my family. 100 hundred days is really a great reason to celebrate. Even if just with a pineapple and strawberry smoothie and a pat on the back. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment