Thursday, April 5, 2012

Consumables


Day 96
Consumables

This is part of the “quarter of the way there” update.
My challenge to “not buy” extends far, but cannot extend to consumables. By consumables, I mean things that we use regularly and have to replenish, like hair products, body lotion, make-up and shoes. (sorry—not shoes, old habits die hard) Again, it would be very easy to transfer my bad shopping habits to any of these necessities so I have had to make some rules.
1.      Lotion: I have to use up what I have before I buy more, unless it stinks or is of really poor quality, in which case it is thrown away.
2.      Makeup: I had to try on everything I have to determine what is worth keeping and what was an impulsive, poorly chosen item. NO gift with purchase packs with odd color samples and stuff I will never use. I am such a sucker for the “gift with purchase!” Lipsticks can only be replaced with the same color.
3.      Hair care: Again, try everything I have, even if it means some really, really bad hair days.
Along the way, I have discovered some really stupid purchases as well as some hidden gems:
·         Tan Towel Tanning Mist: VERY bad. Streaky, runny, orange. I had to actually throw this away in case I forget this review.
·         Ulta Body Lotion:  This smell good but sits on the skin. I think of it more like a creamy scent. They discontinued my signature scent so Ulta is on my bad list.
·         Speaking of discontinue, have you ever had a beauty product you love but it gets discontinued? I have! I found that by searching online (Google) for the product with a color number, it is often available at drugstore.com or amazon.com. I discovered that some products are discontinued regionally so they are, in fact, still available. This really saves the trial and error of new products.
·         Bath and Body Works Lotions: Better lotion quality than Ulta if you find a scent you like, and they will likely discontinue it at some time.
·         Aveeno Baby Eczema Cream: We bought this for our grandson and it wasn’t suitable for him- but it gives me the skin of a baby!!! An accidental great find!
·          Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector: Useless. Did nothing, but smells nice.
·         SexyHair Blow Dry Volumizing Gel: Bought this on a whim because it implied I would get sexy hair. It actually gives huge volume but it makes the blowout a little more difficult. Worth it.
·         Organix Coconut Milk Weightless Mousse: Clearly bought this thinking “vacation,” nice product because it is lightweight. Doesn’t smell coconutty, which is disappointing.
·         Almay Smart-Shade Anti-Aging makeup:  Smart, if your shade is orange!  I like the Ulta tinted moisturizer better.
·         Best new find: I have used spritz hairsprays for years because I thought it was better for my fine hair. Because I had to use up a can of aerosol hairspray, WOW! I found that I love aerosol hairspray!!! What a difference- my style holds much better now. I can’t wait until all my hairspray is gone so I can buy Elnett from L’oreal!
My shelves are looking pretty bare but I know what I’ve got to work with. I’ll share more reviews later!

No comments:

Post a Comment