Saturday, September 1, 2012

InStyle Magazine, September 2012

Day 244

Weighing in at nearly 3 pounds and a robust 652 pages: the September 2012 issue of InStyle. Featuring a photo of Jennifer Lopez and a bold "Fall Fashion!" emblazoned on the cover, traditionally, for me, it's the pièce de résistance of fashion advice. Problem is, the heft of this issue is painful to even hold! 

To be honest, 652 pages is about 452 pages too many. I'll bet a third of them are advertisements. InStyle is a beautiful magazine and I've been a subscriber for more years than I can recall. Since I am comparing magazines this month, my eye is more scrutinizing. Sadly, InStyle just isn't doing it for me anymore. The looks are more runway, less real-life. The price tags are unrealistic for 99.9% of us.  And, in an effort to take age limits off style, they do the opposite by saying that "younger gals should wear X and older gals should wear Y." 

I do enjoy the "home" section. This issue features a section about translating runway fashions to  your tabletop, but I had to wait until page 625. There's a nice article about boot care ... on page 644. To get there, I waded through metallic leather short-shorts, high wedge tennis shoes, an outfit in burgundy and pink (!), another smoky eye lesson and the worst boot collection I have seen. It's not a complete waste, but I feel like the whole issue was more effort than it was worth.

Nothing groundbreaking in trends. "Bargains" are defined as $150 and under. Crazy number of ads. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I have outgrown InStyle magazine (not a fat joke). It's kind of liberating! I finally feel like my general common style sense is better than theirs. 

Forget InStyle! I'm all about MyStyle, BStyle, RealStyle. This is a real breakthrough.

No comments:

Post a Comment