Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Let the Enticing Begin …

Day 18
Let the Enticing Begin …

Today Only Sale! Biggest Sale of the Year! Just Arrived! Final Clearance!
The competition for our fashion dollar is furious and unrelenting. I love it. I love the sale ads in the weekend newspaper, the television ads and even the email blasts. I don’t want to be the poor soul who missed the (pick one) trend, deal or must-have.

Over the past couple years I’ve become particularly fond of the store discount coupon. Often a reward for using a store-sponsored credit card, they arrive in your mailbox like a little secret message. Kohl’s is my favorite. You actually “peel to reveal” your savings. Talk about anticipation! A tiny piece of paper is lifted away to divulge how much I will be saving my family. Before he went to college, my son was the designated peeler. I would wait for him to return from school, dancing around with the coupon. C’mon, peel it. Big discount, big discount! He would make a big show of covering the coupon, seeing the amount of the discount for himself, and then slowly let his expression reveal the discount to me. Was it 15%, 20%, the coveted 30%? When he went away to school last fall I actually mailed a coupon to his college dorm with a self-addressed stamped envelope so he could reveal then mail back to me. The coupon expired by the time I got it back. Sorry Joey, I’ll be peeling the coupons from now on.

Never sure if the coupon received is random or formulated, I assumed they track my buying habits and respond accordingly. Visiting the store often? 15%. Haven’t seen you in a while? 20%. Zero balance on your store credit card? 30%! (Just a theory, I have no idea how it really works) The truth is—those coupons work to get us in the store.
My first Kohl’s coupon of 2012? 30%. Of course. They must know about the challenge.

I expect this will be the beginning of a year of increasing offers. I considered notifying my favorite stores of my challenge so they could reduce stock accordingly. Hey Kohl’s, Parisian, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and Target! I may be looking but I won’t be buying. Send me your coupons, lovely sale ads and catalogs. You’ll have to get through this year without me.

Anyone need a 30% off Kohl’s coupon?

If you know anyone who would enjoy following this change, please forward the link to my blog. If you enjoy it, pass it along or put it on your Facebook. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment