Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thrift Shop Song

Have you heard the Thrift Shop Song? (warning: explicit lyrics)
(warning, warning: very catchy)

I don't listen to the radio much but I noticed that the Thrift Store Song was the number one song on iTunes. What? What, what, what?

Of course, I had to listen to it. I love the lyrics:
I'm gonna pop some tags
Only got 20 dollars in my pocket
I, I, I'm hunting, lookin' for a come-up
This is ******* awesome.

Awesome indeed.
I am not fluent in rap, but I am pretty sure the artist is looking for some new clothes and only has $20 to spend. I feel that. These are tough economic times. Not the first young people to realize that thrift stores make practical sense. But the first ones to rap about it, I think. 
Later in the song:


I hit the party and they stop in that ************
They be like, "Oh, that's Gucci-- that's hella tight."
I'm like, "Yo--that's fifty dollars for a t-shirt."
Limited addition, let's do some simple addition
Fifty dollars for a t-shirt-- that's just some ignorant ***** (***)
I call that getting swindled and pimped (****)
I call that getting tricked by a business
That shirt's heela dough
And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don't
Peep game, come take a look through my telescope
Trying to get girls from a brand? Then you hella won't

Translation (I think): So you think you are cool in that $50 Gucci t-shirt? You are stupid for being tricked into thinking that a) that t-shirt is worth $50, b) that you look original wearing it, and c) the chicks will dig it.

Again, ******* awesome.

During my Bye Buy challenge, I met many people interested in only buying used clothes for a year. Heaven knows, there's plenty out there, as people like me just keep filling the racks with impulsive purchases we didn't really need or want. Well, ,maybe there is less from me these days, but thrift stores are popping up everywhere. There are great deals to be had and great items if you shop carefully (and wash the clothes first!)



No comments:

Post a Comment